Tuesday 1 October 2013

Dribble bibs DIY

In the evenings I love doing little sewing projects using the scraps of fabric from my stash. Recently as you are aware I have been making loads of baby things, mostly because they don't require a lot of fabric or time, in fact i can usually knock something up in an hour or so. SO satisfying! I had already made several Baprons (funny word I know!) from Craftiness is not optional I downloaded the pattern and I have made mine using scraps of oil cloth to make them wipe clean. Then Dribble bibs caught my eye as they are SO simple, quick and make great presents, especially as the idea is the kid keeps them on throughout the day while teething to stop their clothes getting soggy and making their necks sore.  Ideally I think they would be best made from jersey cotton with some micro terry on the reverse for absorbency. I have looked EVERYWHERE online and no-where in the UK as far as I can see sells Micro terry (which is like normal Terry towelling but tiny loops of fibre). The market near me sells the normal white terry towelling for something like £6 a metre. I bought half and have made over 10 I reckon. I made the pattern from drawing round one bib I borrowed. Below are the photos and you will see the co-ordinating headbands we made too! You can download the PDF pattern HERE.
Please do sign up to receive email updates from this blog, top right of this web page.








Here you can see the different fastenings I used, the shop bought ones tend to have the press stud set up-simiar to those of baby grows. I only had the sew on one and I just used 3 parts, in stead of two pairs, in order to give different size settings. The blue one is fastened with Velrco which makes the sizing much more flexible, I made sure to put the scratchy side so it will always be facing up and wont eve touch the skin.


This is the shape of the bib when it is undone.


Here you can see the front and back of the bib. Ideally I would of used micro Terry as the Towelling I have used is quite bulky, but it wont really affect how the bib works, It would just look more professional with the smaller loops.

Thanks for viewing this. Please feel free to browse the rest of my blog or sign up for email updates.

You might also be interested in:

Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. What are the lines you drew around the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So you can cut out the pattern along the dotted line, and then Sew along the solid line for a smaller bib for 0-6 months, or you can cut an extra 1cm around the dotted line, then sew along the dotted line for a bigger bib for 6months+. Hope that makes sense!?
      Happy Making!
      Lola Bundles

      Delete
  2. the lines are for the 1/4 seam

    thank you for this pattern! I'm making a few for my nugget and for my nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these for my little one today and they turned out great! Thanks for the easy to follow pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I'm so glad they worked out for you. Happy sewing! Jenny

      Delete
  4. Love this, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pattern! I put snaps on mine to keep my bitty from pulling it off, but she doesn't seem to mind these. She despises most bibs. Oh well! We received a lot of micro terry newborn towels as gifts. As she is too big for them now, I cut them apart and made these bibs. Too cute! Each towel makes two bibs, and I cut apart the hoods for applique designs. Maybe you can harvest fabric in the same way. They're really absorbent! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure Lee! Glad you found a second use for the towels! I may just do what you suggested when Annabelle gets a little bigger, she is still such a dot, she still fits her baby towels Pleased you've enjoyed making these!
    Take care
    Jenny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is great, thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wide is the neck opening on these?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to say thank you so much! I need to make 4 separate baby gifts, and am 8 months pregnant myself and really appreciate you creating this pattern and sharing it. Took the guesswork right out and I was able to get right to cutting. Can't wait to give these - I am going to create sets with burp cloths as gifts. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Making at least 6 of these for my grandson today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi cute pattern! Thanks! I bought some stuff to make burp cloths that is a soft terrycloth. It's called French terrycloth. It is slightly stretchy ,soft, and exactly as you described. I got it at Joann fabrics. Had trouble finding it as it is sold on a bolt inside out! Worked great for burp cloths and it's very soft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its too small for a one year old

    ReplyDelete
  13. It didn´t fit my 13 months boy. Too small. How many inches should I add for him in the pattern lines?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for such a nice content.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look Click here thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made a lot of these! I use the plastic snaps they work great!

    ReplyDelete